(Re)Cycling for Nature
"Erasmus plus", Youth Exchange,
Project "(Re)Cycling for Nature" brings the new highly integrated conception of sport, healthy lifestyle, environment protection and active citizenship to the new level altogether. "(Re)Cycling for Nature" gives the new approach towards solving of the Environmental problems while cycling and recycling preserving urban and natural environment from different kind of pollution: air, waists; looking for a new approaches and measures on environmental education, civic engagement and healthy life being.
"(Re)Cycling for Nature" reveals the highly integrated conception of environment protection by organizing environmental actions while cycling a bike - particularly in the Baltic sea region, where environmental issues are at the highest importance. The project idea strongly focuses healthy lifestyle promotion, that's high supported by European . EU Health and Environment policy and its Health strategy (European environment policy until 2020) that highly promotes the following aspects of health policy:
- Prevention work - especially by promoting healthier lifestyles;
- Equal chances of good health & quality healthcare for all (regardless of income, gender, ethnicity, etc.);
- Safeguard EU citizens from environment-related pressures and risks to health and well-being;
- Turn the EU into a resource-efficient, green, and competitive low-carbon economy.
Seaside region of Baltic sea - seems to be a very nice example of "(Re)Cycling for Nature" because of rich Natural and Cultural heritage of this wonderful seaside infrastructure. Baltic seaside full of green areas within also it contains a number of famous objects of cultural heritage where non-formal educational activities on sport could be excercized: Kursiu Nerija, Smiltyne, Palanga, Klaipeda full of points of cultural and natural interests referring to Cycling infrastructure and educational activities. Despite this Baltic sea kept as one of the most polluted in the world therefore need bigger attentions, considerations and special measures (Source: http://www.arc2020.eu/factory-farming-made-the-baltic-sea-one-of-the-worlds-most-polluted-seas/).
During the programme we will explore major topics related to Environment protection and healthy life while doing sport in Nature:
- Environmental challenges for Baltic sea;
- Nature protection in Kursiu Nerija;
- Cycling as sport and outdoors educational activity;
- Doing sport in urban area;
- Volunteering for preservation cultural and natural heritage in the seaside region;
- Environment protection and recycling issues in Klaipeda.
"(Re)Cycling for Nature" has a strong non-formal education character - it gives youth better understanding about benefits of a healthy lifestyle while cycling, acknowledge how to read value of local natural heritage in terms of preservation of forests, green areas, how to contribute to preservation of natural areas within the cities, suburban areas and local regions and how to start active volunteering in related organizations. Healthy life awareness and benefits of cycling together promoted in the project fostering of active community bringing and new ideas for realization through volunteering activities.
The AIM of Project - promoting of Youths' Healthy living habits by practicing cycling activities acknowledging local cultural and natural highlights and dealing with environmental issues in sea of Baltic region.
1. Give better insights for youth on healthy lifestyle and cycling as a tool for exploring of local natural and cultural heritage in the Baltic sea region;
2. Provide insights on cycling-based learning a method for catalyzing the new pro-social ideas and bringing ideas to the practice;
3. Provide the new, innovative ideas for youth how to volunteer in local sport/environmental/cultural organizations;
4. Introduce youth to the conception of learning by doing losing xenophobic, discriminatory attitudes;
5. Creating of innovative projects for contributing to local communities preserving of local cultural, natural heritage and sports infrastructure for promoting active, healthy, culturally rich environment for youth and local communities.
Project Methodology - learning by doing (Dewey, 1958), that involves highly practical activities by learners exercising themselves acting together and learning from the practice. Cycling-based learning is at the heart of "Learning by doing" because of active learners' involvement in sports activities exploring local natural and cultural heritage for better understanding and contributions by volunteering in the local cultural, natural and sport infrastructure establishments. here to edit.
Project was built regarding the three major criteria:
1. Educational sector;
2. Regional cohesion;
3. Previous experience working with partners in the project.
- Educational sector: all project's partners are from non-formal education sector - highly experienced in non-formal education organization with youth and youth workers.
- Regional cohesion: within this project we have even 4 partners (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania and Poland), that bounded with Baltic traditions - in fact 3 Baltic countries included to target environmental topic in the project. This regional dimension of partnerships is very important - gives opportunity to go deeper into the topic and compare Baltic sea environmental issues within different Baltic states.
- PBL Institute has a very good partnerships with most involved organization because they have been involved in the previous projects. Therefore all project's partners are well known; competence backgrounds, staff, capabilities, interests, dissemination and valorisatio capacities.
Every partner involved within the project brings specific professional background and competence needed for this project realization:
1. PBL Institute (Lithuania; Coordinating organization): this organization is a leader in the project, that brings advanced knowledge and experience i the field of Problem-based learning and Project-based learning and other non-formal educational approaches. PBL institute has very clear methodical framework of involving learners into group / team-based learning, therefore this experience will be useful for organizing non-formal educational activities of the exchange. PBL Institute has experience in organizing very related projects about Cycling (2018-3-LT02-KA105-006037) and promotions of physical and psychological health of youth (2016-3-LT02-KA105-005074). Therefore this project will grasp the best successful methodical fragments from previuos projects as well as will integrate the new ones in the context of Baltic sea regions environmental issues.
2. SEIKLEJATE VENNASKOND (Estonia): Estonian non-formal education organization, that have organized different youth exchanges, seminars and training courses concerning equality, fight against racism & xenophobia, human rights, mobility and migration, environment protection, healthy lifestyle, no hate speech movement, refugees and other issues. Estonia - one of Baltic sea states, that brings northern traditions from preserving Nature and dealing with environmental issues in Baltic sea. Therefore this partner will bring surplus value to the project - will be able to present Baltic sea environmental issues from Estonia point of view and give insights of solving it.
3. NEOI ELLADOS SE EYROPAIKI DRASI (Greece): Non-formal educational organization, that works with youth and youth workers. It brings to the project of know-how on working with environmental issues in Mediterranean sea and the region.This experience will be useful making comparison on pollution factor and environmental problem solving activities within two different regions of EU.
4. ASOCIACIA ZA RAZVITIE NA BULGARSKIASPORT (Bulgaria): organization of BULSPORT has a lot of experience in sport-based education methodology and healthy life promotion of youth. Therefore this organization will contribute with methodical insights how to do sport activities outdoors, in the green areas at the same time preserving local environment.
5. I LIKE CZERSK (Poland): polish organization of experiences activist in civil education, human rights protection, environment protection and non-formal educational methods for youth application. This organization brings experience and know-how on Baltic sea environmental issues in the southern part of Baltic sea region. This region is full of industrial areas and shipping facilities therefore environmental problems here are very important issues to consider. This organization will being know-how on involving local communities into an action.
6. ASOCIACION 217 SUR (Spain): Spanish organization of scouts will bring know-how of how to live with Nature in harmony: surviving in nature skills, preserving natures qualities; living healthy life skills promotion. They will organize few educational games while cycling in little forests near the Baltic sea (Kursiu Nerija and Palanga).
7. REGIONALAS ATTISTIBAS UN SOCIALO INICIATIVU ORGANIZACIJA PERSPEKTIVA (Latvia): Latvian organization of young activists has strong background n in Geographical education. They have advanced knowledge on geography of Baltic region and environmental problems' understanding therefore they will be able make efficient presentations, organize some workshops for participants analyzing, researching environmental issues in the project. It also bring environmental protection undertanding from Latvia, that is one of the three Baltic states in this region, that plays Pivotal role in Baltic sea regions economic and environment protection.