Project "Cycling-based learning" brings the new highly integrated conception of psychological well-being, sport, healthy lifestyle, environment protection and active citizenship to the new level altogether. Cycling-based learning gives the new approach towards the psychological well-being of youth having fruitful, healthy, active full-blooded, activities in Nature together with other beloved persons acknowledging the natural and cultural heritage of the local region together. Cycling-based learning reveals the highly integrated conception of learning by doing by actively exploring the sense of acting and learning together while cycling a bike.
The project idea strongly focuses healthy lifestyle promotion, that's high supported by European policy. EU Health policy and its Health strategy that highly promotes the following aspects of health policy:
- Prevention work - especially by promoting healthier lifestyles;
- Equal chances of good health & quality healthcare for all (regardless of income, gender, ethnicity, etc.);
- Tackling serious health threats involving more than one EU country;
- Supporting dynamic health systems & new technologies.
Mental health and sports benefits of youth are highly supported within EU2020. EU Health policy and status of public health highly contributes to the implementation of Europe 2020 strategy which aims to make the EU a smart, sustainable and inclusive economy promoting growth for all – one prerequisite for which is good health.
Based on the latest estimates of World Health Organization (WHO) in European Union countries, overweight affects 30-70% and obesity affects 10-30% of adults.Over 60% of children who are overweight before puberty will be overweight in early adulthood. Childhood obesity is strongly associated with risk factors for cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, orthopedic problems, mental disorders, underachievement in school and lower self-esteem. That's why physical activity and diet is advised mostly to tackle health-related problems. (http://www.euro.who.int/en/health-topics/noncommunicable-diseases/obesity/data-and-statistics).
Scientists notice a number of cycling benefits (http://www.bikeradar.com/beginners/gear/article/30-reasons-to-take-up-cycling-23965/ ) like beating the illness, longer life, improving general health, loosing overweight, improving mental being, creative breakthrough and much more. That's why this approach in the project was selected - to promote healthy living habits of youth.
Vilnius region - seems to be a very nice example of "Cycling-based learning" because of rich Natural and Cultural heritage of this wonderful capital of Lithuania. Vilnius is called "Green City", because of plenty of green areas within also it contains a number of famous objects of cultural heritage with its own unique cultural gothic, baroque and renaissance backgrounds. "Cycling-based learning" has a strong non-formal education character - it gives youth better understanding about benefits of a healthy lifestyle while cycling, acknowledge how to read value of local natural heritage in terms of preservation of forests, green areas, how to contribute to preservation of natural areas within the cities, suburban areas and local regions and how to start active volunteering in related organizations. Healthy life awareness and benefits of cycling together promoted in the project fostering of active community bringing and new ideas for realization through volunteering activities.
The AIM of Project - promoting of Youths' Healthy living habits by practicing cycling activities acknowledging local cultural and natural highlights.
1. Give better insights for youth on healthy lifestyle and cycling as a tool for exploring of local natural and cultural heritage;
2. Provide insights on cycling-based learning a method for catalyzing the new pro-social ideas and bringing ideas to the practice;
3. Provide the new, innovative ideas for youth how to volunteer in local sport/environmental/cultural organizations;
4. Introduce youth to the conception of learning by doing losing xenophobic, discriminatory attitudes;
5. Creating of innovative projects for contributing to local communities preserving of local cultural, natural heritage and sports infrastructure for promoting active, healthy, culturally rich environment for youth and local communities.
Project Methodology - learning by doing (Dewey, 1958), that involves highly practical activities by learners exercising themselves acting together and learning from the practice. Cycling-based learning is at the heart of "Learning by doing" because of active learners' involvement in sports activities exploring local natural and cultural heritage for better understanding and contributions by volunteering in the local cultural, natural and sport infrastructure establishments. here to edit.
Project's partners were selected based on competencies criteria: every partner has specific expertise to bring into the project implementation and motivated to benefit from the project:
- Problem-Based Learning Institute (Lithuania). PBL Institute has specific expertise in the implementation of nowadays didactic methods in educational practice. Also, PBL institute staff has a lot of experience on cycling activities, that is the main topic of the project. PBL Institute will ensure implementation of Cycling based learning conception integrity with other non-formal educational methods: educational visits, discussions, PBL strategy, group/teamwork, sessions reflection groups in order to realize project conception on healthy life promotion. PBL Institute is highly interested and has expertise in working with youth. Problem-based learning institute is interesting in new action-based learning approaches including sports activities promoting healthy living habits while combining different kinds of non-formal educational activities. This project will enrich existing PBL methodology with new didactic insights based on action-based learning activities while doing sport.
- SUR217 Association (Spain):The 217 SUR Association is an organization with legal personality, civil, educational, youth and children, nonprofit, plural in their beliefs and spiritual manifestations, free membership, non-partisan political nature and inspired by the Fines, Principles, and Methods of Scouting, as conceived by our founder Lord Baden Powell, based in Huelva. SUR217 association activities highly associated to promotion of healthy and life style. During scouting activities learners very often are taken to the nature for non-formal educational activities: promoting survival skills in nature; volunteering activities to help homeless animals; different sports activities (Football; Rugby) outdoors organized annually. That's why partner have been selected for this project. because they are competence in project related issues. They are directly involved into organizing survival games in nature while cycling.
- ASOCIACIA ZA RAZVITIE NA BULGARSKIASPORT (Bulgaria). BULSPORT is an expert in the field of sport-based education and healthy lifestyle. They will contribute directly sharing methodical approaches to promotion sport-based activities, particularly Cycling based learning. Ice-breaker and energizers games will be represented by Bulgarian group as well. Bulgarian sports association is interested in trying new action-based learning methodology integrating sport and volunteering activities. It has advanced experience in contribution on issues connected to volunteering in sport. BULSPORT specifically will be responsible for instruction of participants on safety issues while doing a sport / cycling.
- I LIKE CZERSK (Poland). Association from Poland in Youth association focused on international exchanges of youth covering brought expertise in terms of non-formal education, volunteering, social entrepreneurship topics. Polish organization will bring to the project volunteering expertise - how to get involved in volunteering for youth. Ice-breaker and energizers games will be represented by Polish group as well. The organization is interested in a promotion of youth health activities, that's why it streams to participate in this project. "I LIKE CZERSK" will be responsible for instructing learners how to involve local communities into social actions.
- Dare to take your chance (Romania). Association from Romania focused on general topics of youth exchanges in terms of non-formal education methods. They will be guiding in the organizing of ice-breakers, energizers, and sport-based activities. The organization is interested in the new didactic - especially action-based learning connected to sports activities. Therefore the partner will be able to contribute to icebreakers and energizers organization activities.
- Youthfully Greece (Greece):Youthfully Yours Gr was born in 2011 by a company of friends interested in Non-formal Education, Youth Work & European Mobilities. YYGR is a Non-profit Organization (NGO) from Thessaloniki Greece, with activity on local, national &European Activity Level, interested in Arts, Environment, Democracy, Unemployment, Sustainability, Creativity and Entrepreneurship, Volunteering, European and Balkan culture as well as urban and regional activities. YYGR promotes friendship, peace, respect for human rights, anti-racism. This partner will be responsible for instructing participants on cultural heritage and architecture